Mandali Memories


When I recieved this picture, few memories struck me right in the middle of my heart. It was so glad to see Ravi mama and his sincere elegant rendering of tabla, Patient and delightingly creative Katti mama and Heroic Aarti ji inspiring as my sister tried to learn more. Its a pleasure to see Mandali back in action. It reminds me of the days when we ussed to work in the evenings posting members and arranging the stage smiling at many great artistes whoever visited us at the old Ghokale Institute. Audience would sincerely arrive at sharp six to listen to artistes. We served tea, and it was a delight to see artistes uncovering their brilliant instruments from their well tied bags. Sitars, tablas, sarods, tanpuras, clarinets and flutes. Artistes always came well dressed,scented with decorated kurtas and great sense of humour. Artistes jokes have punny humour. Before the concert, they would tune in the instruments and I always was eager to recognize the magical raga which they are going to perform. Poorias, Todis, Keervani, Yaman, Bhop, durga, Malkaus and I always wanted them to play one these as they were my favourites. However some of them played rags which I had not heared of and often I didnt want to listen to them as it is too much to learn! It was more exciting to see instrumentalists as I loved to see their swollen hands. Mikes were set and I had learnt to adjust the amplifier. Biggining of a performance was the filling of sounds of Tanpura. The tanpura was the start and I always wanted to hear how it ended. Inbetween was simply a playful journey of musical forms. I didnt quite understand the moods or grammer so much but I could catch the expressions and progressions easily.
Picture did quite make me feel I missed the Live of Music

Comments

Unknown said…
Kiran,
I really missed you in this concert.
We restarted the Mandali's activities in a big way. New committee members are very eager to take this Mandali to great heights.Because of their support only I could be able to take this dicission.

P.S.Kulkarni
Secretary
Hindustani Sangeeta
Kalakara Mandali
Bangalore.

Popular posts from this blog

Google made the engine, let me make the train!

Divine Whip

Madhumad Sarang