Divine Whip




I should have listened to my uncle when he asked me not to buy this whip. I didnt believe quite then that the whip had dark powers and could trouble the inner balances of oneself. I bought it because it looked so lovely. A whip in the form of a cobra. Just 200 years ago almost all objects had gods on them. Nut Crackers, Utensils, Furniture, Bullock Cart, Houses were smeared with the gods. Todays satellites too! as the belief still remains. Poojas & rituals has remained but the ideas of shapes derived from the gods have almost dissappeared. Todays objects dont have gods even in some new temples.
I didnt listen to my uncle when he said that to buy this whip requires a special ritual and only the farmer who uses should buy. Socially it made complete sense but modern me simply dismissed the logic. I was eager to show it to my professors and make it an object of study as it contained nuiances of ritualistic mysticism, godly forms, ritual object, post modern interest etc etc. It was simply a great object to study - an Indian Expression!
I bought three of them and returned to my city. I took one to my institute to show it off to my senior professors. We discussed cultural depth, social connections, ritualistic objects etc etc. By then, I had heared that astrologically I was suffering from a 'Dosha'- A sin - as foreseen by an Astrologer. It was called the "Kaala Sarpa" - Black Snake Sin. To reconcile I had to travel to few temples and perform few rituals which I did. I had to submit this whip to the temple back which I did. This Sin transcended from a difficult past when I suppose my grandfather used to kill the snakes which often used to wander in the backyard.Divine whip made me travel to places during my dark days.
I hope now gods are happy as I have returned their object.

Comments

WebPrashy said…
Yes...the whip does ring a bell and reminds you of a Cobra. Sometimes putting things in perspective does make you believe that rituals (or sins!), are all part of a larger divine, (or satanic!), intervention!
Sincerly hope that all the pitfalls have been overcome and the gods (or demons!) have been pacified.
Best of luck and may the truth be with you
:-)
Meenu said…
I didnt know satellites come equipped with images of Gods...really??
Kiran... nice to note that you started believing treditional miths. I remember, I was also like you in my younger age.Good that you have more belief than me at this young age. Thanks to your uncle, I mean to my brother.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
sns said…
Sheeraz says....Hey Kiran.....Is this scarecrow in Inhauna of U.P. about 70 K.M. from Lucknow?????
sns said…
Sheeraz says....Hey Kiran.....Is this scarecrow in Inhauna of U.P. about 70 K.M. from Lucknow?????

Popular posts from this blog

Google made the engine, let me make the train!

Madhumad Sarang