Expression, havent seen it around in a while!

Yesterday, I decided to take off from my usual rut, take a small detour to one of my friends place in surprise. I met his father who had lost weight,  looked smaller and slower. I knew him from my childhood, i stood in silence soon to know he had gone a major surgery. My state of mind was to simply stay with him as much and talk to him about my life generally. After a while he smiled and engaged a great spirit in our simple conversations around family and work.
I got a chance to express myself freely so as to suit him and his comfort. I wondered later that night, have be become less expressive? I mean, do we get lesser contexts to be expressive? I work in a Industry!(Software/Media technologies....i don't see a difference to a match-stick industry next door!) Workers don't seem to express anything at all. I wonder if monthly salary seems to shut their mouths.

For me it was a important question as all arts are rooted in expression. I recollected my whole day and not a place i could point out where there was a necessary to comfort the context with an expression!
Anyways, i made a space for myself to teach a Graphic Design course in a local college. I was glad i would get some space and time to think about this rare thing! I introduced the students to "Expression"!.....
Made a small framework, just to understand our contexts.....i was listing what is that we like to express?

We express "Feelings, functions, ideas,meanings". We use all kinds of elements from mystery of light,space, nature, materials, texts, drawings, color, sounds, shape, language, pictures, tastes...name anything it becomes an element!......we search for truth, beauty, honesty, elegance, delight, play (things which make us feel real) in our attempts ( i will leave capital for a while here!) .....we use our skills and end up in creating a painting, poetry, a literature, a graphic, a movie etc. All this is very personal to you...... i mean, you express if you have something inside you to express... a pot of 'rasa'...a pot of love or spirit.... which need an elegant manifestation into something.....! If you don't have it, need not bother! you are getting your monthly salary :-) kidding!.
Okay, i asked myself and the students.....do we have in us?...the pot of emotion? to express?

We are going to figure out! that's the course! and the structure will prevail around it :-).
Back home, i kept watching people, when they have the chance to express, they seem to quieten themselves, they go silent, or avoid....art gets silenced. Then they use science to complicate, rationalize remain under the illusion that they have solved the problem...you know practically!

Hope to observe expressive moments from world around! (Commercial expression does not give a great flavor of rasa!)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google made the engine, let me make the train!

Divine Whip

Madhumad Sarang